According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), turkey deep frying accidents are responsible for five deaths, 60 injuries, 900 home fires, and more than $15 million in property damage annually! If you plan on preparing your turkey this way, please follow these safety tips to help keep yourself and your family safe!
- First and foremost, NEVER leave the fryer unattended. Oil fires spread impossibly quick, so please keep a close eye on your fryer and make sure to have a fire extinguisher that is rated for grease fires handy.
- Wear protection! Nothing ruins a Thanksgiving celebration like someone getting a drop of hot oil in the eye. Protective glasses/goggles and some high-quality grill mitts are a MUST for anyone who is going to be close to the fryer.
- Don’t skimp on your defrosting time! Make sure that turkey is completely defrosted and dry before it gets dropped in the oil.
- Shut down the burner if the oil starts smoking! Heating oil past its smoke point is not only a fire hazard, it can release toxic fumes and free radicals that can damage your health long term.
- Finally, please dispose of your used oil safely! Cool it overnight and carefully pour into disposable, leak-free containers!
Follow all of these safety tips, and you’ve got a good chance of making it through Thanksgiving without injury or mishap! From all of us here at OnderLaw, we wish you a fun, filling, and safe Thanksgiving Day!!